What do I need to bring?
To complete the course (& examinations), you will need to bring along one passport size photograph and the following documentation (listed below) with you – as proof of ID and Proof of Address. Please note that if you do not bring these items, you cannot sit the exam/s and pass the course.
Once you successfully complete the course and exams, you can then apply for your SIA licence. You will receive the official results of your course approximately x7 working days after your course. If you have passed all multiple-choice exams, you can then apply for your SIA licence, as the SIA will also be aware that you have passed the course & exams, although please allow a few days for this to be uploaded by the Awarding Body to the SIA.
The cost for the licence is currently £220.00 which you as the candidate are required to pay (separately to the actual training course delivered by EZ Training). The licence lasts three years.
A second (non-primary) licence, such as CCTV (PSS) will only cost £110 – providing you already have a Door Supervisor, Close Protection or Security Guarding Licence (with at least x4 months remaining on your existing SIA licence).
The SIA will accept:
- Two identity documents from group A list below. At least one document must show your current address and at least one document must show your date of birth.
- One identity document from group A and two documents from group B list below. At least one document must show your current address and at least one document must show your date of birth.
What do we mean by “group A” and “group B”?
Group A and Group B
- If you are a UK passport holder, your passport number entered on the application form. You do not need to submit the actual passport.
- Signed valid passport of any other nationality.
- Driving licence photocard if it was issued by the DVLA in Great Britain. We will not accept the photocard on its own if it was issued by the DVA in Northern Ireland.
- Driving licence photocard and its paper counterpart issued by the DVA in Northern Ireland.
- UK original birth certificate issued within 12 months of birth
- UK biometric residence permit card
Documents that confirm your identity and your address
If you have been asked to take Group B documents to the post office they must be from this list and they must show your current address.
- Valid UK firearms licence with photo.
- Current UK driving licence – paper version (not the paper counterpart to a photocard).
- P45 statement of income for tax purposes on leaving a job issued in the last 12 months.
- P60 annual statement of income for tax purposes issued in the last 12 months.
- Bank or building society statement issued to your current address, less than three months old. You can use more than one statement as long as each is issued by a different bank or building society.
- Mortgage statement issued in the last 12 months.
- Utility bill (gas, electric, telephone, water, satellite, cable) issued to your current address within the last three months. You can only submit one utility bill in support of your application.
- Pension, endowment or ISA statement issued in last 12 months.
- Letter from H.M. Revenue & Customs, Department of Work and Pensions, employment service, or local authority issued within the last three months. You can submit more than one letter as long as each is issued by a different Government department or a different local authority.
- A credit card statement sent to your current address within the last three months. You can submit more than one statement as long as each is issued by a different issuer.
- Council Tax statement issued in the last 12 months.
Documents that confirm your identity
- Valid EU photo ID card.
- Driving licence photocard (without a paper counterpart) issued by the DVA in Northern Ireland.
- Marriage certificate or Civil Partnership certificate, with translation if not in English.
- UK birth certificate issued more than 12 months after date of birth, but not a photocopy.
- Non-UK birth certificate, with translation if not in English.
- UK adoption certificate
Renewals and Additional Licences
You don’t normally have to send any documents in support of a licence renewal or an application for an additional licence. However:
- If your name has changed and you have not yet informed us, you will need to provide a document proving your new name.
- If your address has changed and you have not yet informed us, you will need to provide a document proving your new address.
- If you have not previously provided us with a photographic group A document you will need to submit a new, complete set of identity documents.
Please remember that it is a condition of your licence that you must tell us in writing of any changes to your name or address as soon as practicable.
Applying for or Renewing an SIA Licence must now be done online via the SIA website, as the SIA no longer accfept paper applications (and they have closed their telephone contact centre): http://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Pages/licensing-applying.aspx
For SIA Licensing Criteria: http://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Documents/licensing/sia_get_licensed.pdf